The Isle of Palms is an Atlantic barrier island with approximately 5000 full time residents. The entire 7-mile long and 1-mile wide island is an incorporated municipality. It has a 5-acre full service marina as well as a county park in the center of the island. The park has lifeguards, dressing rooms and showers.
Shopping is abundant just over the Isle of Palms Connector Bridge in Mount Pleasant or in the downtown Charleston area.
The island has three churches: Lutheran, First United Methodist and Baptist.
The Isle of Palms was originally named Hunting Island and was inhabited by the indigenous Seewee Indians.
During the Civil War, the H.L.Hunley departed from Breach Inlet. The Hunley was the first submarine to sink an enemy vessel.
In the late 19th century, the island began being used by local residents as a refuge from the summer heat. It was purchased by J.S.Lawrence in 1899 and named Isle of Palms. A 50 room hotel was built in 1906 and a beach pavilion with an amusement park in 1912. Access to the island was limited to a ferry and trolley rail until the Grace Memorial Bridge was built in 1929.
J.C.Long Purchased the island in 1946. He provided low-cost housing for veterans retuning from WWII. Development as a residential community proceeded slowly until the 1970’s when the real estate market blossomed.
The six miles of white, sandy beaches provides plenty of space for residents and visitors today.